Monday, October 6, 2008

October URWA Conference

Well, I just finished a wonderful weekend up in Park City for the Utah Romance Writers Annual Conference. It was a spectacular drive up there with all the trees turning brillant colors of reds, oranges and yellows. I had the pleasure of riding with my critique partners, Alysia, Kathy, and Jan. We were all excited for the weekend - and none of us were diappointed.

The URWA writers conference was held at the Canyons. It started off with registration, then a luncheon where our President of RWA, Sherry Lewis gave us a very moving speach. I had to wipe back a tear or two! This was followed by wonderful workshops. Of more than sixty other writers, editors and agents, I felt like I was among a big family. Hugs, well wishes, sharing chocolate, giggles and networking with everyone sure made my heart sing with happiness. It was such a pleasure to see old friends and make new friends with those who came from out of town.

My pitch session with Megan McKeever from Pocket books - went well, at least I felt good about it. She did ask me for my first three chapters of Madison's Lost Cowboy, my current WIP (I'm wrapping up the ending, then plan to edit the chapters and synopsis - in the next couple of weeks) After I do my edits for Just Rewards, I'll be starting the sequel to Madison's Lost Cowboy.

I had a great time visiting with Cori Deyoe - an angent for 3 Seas Literary Agency - she was down to earth and fun to talk with. Also had the opportunity to visit with Nick Conrad from Ellora's Cave Publishing. He's also a very personable man. (He looks like an older versian of my nephew, Brenten)

The workshops were informative and motivating. I benefitted from them all. There were many issues that were adressed, that I realized how I could implement them in my own writing.

I plan on starting to renew my fitness program and rejoin her fitness blog- thanks to Cami Checkets talk.

1 comment:

Cami Checketts said...

I'm so glad the conference went well for you Sheryl and thrilled you're going to read my blog!
Loved the pictures.

Cami Checketts
http://fitmommas.blogster.com
www.camichecketts.com